After a lovely, full night’s sleep, I started my morning off with my new favorite breakfast – PB&J Overnight Oats. They may have stolen the spotlight from my steel-cut oats with blueberries!
I had a little fun playing around with PicMonkey’s new editing effects, as you can probably tell.
These overnight oats brought me back to my high school days, reminding me of a PB&J sandwich, except these had a delightful, chewy texture. Not to mention these require little to no prep work in the morning. So if you wake up with a grumbling stomach, as I usually do, but are not quite awake enough to really cook something right away, these are perfect!
The combination of the oats, chia seeds, and peanut butter is sure to keep you full for a few hours or to help you power through a tough workout! In my case, they definitely helped me power through a tough workout.
Yesterday I did speed skaters as part of my workout, so my legs and glutes were a little on the sore side today. Deep down I knew my run would be a rough one today, but I tried not to acknowledge the thought to avoid psyching myself out. Sure enough, two minutes into my run and I was feeling the pain. I was able to successfully push through and complete a two mile HIIT run on the treadmill. I then switched to the arc trainer machine for 10 minutes, and finished off with a 5 minute run at higher speeds of 7.5-7.8 mph.
Okay recipe time!
– 2/3 c. rolled oats
– 1/2 c. milk of some kind (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
– 1 1/2 T. All Natural Peanut Butter
– 1 t. chia seeds
– 1 T. of your favorite fruit spread, jam, or jelly
– 1/4 t. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend (If using regular brown sugar, I would add 1/2 t. instead of 1/4 t. Splenda’s Brown Sugar Blend is much sweeter than regular brown sugar)
1. Combine oats, milk, chia seeds, 1 T. of peanut butter, and brown sugar blend, and let soak in the fridge overnight.
2. In the morning, add another splash of milk to make oats into a cookie dough-like consistency. Top oats with the 1/2 T. of peanut butter and fruit spread and voila! Breakfast is served!